vineri, 21 octombrie 2011

Grida natura, e desta!

Dear Friends,

Although I had no time to breathe these last days, I kept my promise and here I am with something more from the beautiful adventure called “Tokyo”, still fresh in my memory and soul. 

As you know, the wonderful Angela Gheroghiu invited me to sing with her on 11th and 16th of October.

There were two magical Gala Concerts, both of them sold out. Our voices blended just perfect, on every single duet we sung, beautifully accompanied by the Japan Philharmonic Orchestra, under maestro conductor Ion Marin.

I guess, you have already seen „Vieni fra queste braccia”, the splendid duet from Vincenzo Bellini's „I Puritani”.

And there were more… “Parigi o cara” form Verdi’s “La Traviata”, for example, or “C'est le Dieu de la jeunesse” from Leo Delibes’s “Lakme”. 

But today, I present you the demanding aria of Prince Adelberto, from the second act of Rossini's “Adelaide di Borgogna” – “Grida natura, e desta!”.

This aria represented a challenge for me as it is a challenge for any tenor who approaches it. Because a high tessitura and a warm but still strong coloratura voice is needed.

This is a sort of madness aria - “aria di pazzia" – usually composed just for sopranos. But for “Adelaide di Borgogna”, Rossini changed the rule and gave this challenge to a tenor.




Adelberto remains alone in the chambers of the palace after having a fight with his mother Eurice.

She tried to convince him to give Adelaide back to Ottone, otherwise his father, Berengario, will die - being captured by him.

This is the moment when Adelberto must make up his mind: save his father or loose forever the beloved Adelaide.

And all he has in mind is that all the people around him and even the Universe it’s self are against him: “Nemici o gli uomini, Nemico h'o il cielo".

I hope you have enjoyed my performance from Suntory Hall, Tokyo, and I promise to be back with more.

Now…I have to run or I’ll be late for “Don Pasquale” rehearsal at Zurich Opernhouse.

Yes…I’m already in Zurich

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu